WEA Older and Wiser Project
Calling all tutors who want to be part of our exciting new project targeting isolated older people in Leicester. Join us in our partnership with 16 other agencies using our expertise, imagination and passion for equality of opportunity to make a positive difference.
|We’re looking for tutors who can:
· Bring ideas for courses and different ways of engaging with older people who may be “hard to reach”
· Deliver taster sessions across one or more of the Thurncourt, Latimer, Spinney Hills and Evington wards of Leicester. Timescales for these are October this year and will be repeated each term next year.
· Deliver a taster session at the 1st October “Big Event”
· Deliver short courses this term from October/November
· Develop and deliver varying length learning programmes over the project period that respond to locally identified needs
Over the next 3 years we will be working alongside other organisations such as Age UK, Mosaic (disability services) the West Indian Senior Citizens Project, Citizens Advice and many more. Our aim is to deliver learning activities that help people to re-engage with their community, re-awaken dormant interests, discover new ones, build confidence and enable social connection. We have the freedom to be flexible and innovative in our delivery and will continually review and adapt our approach. Our offering will be diverse and responsive to need, whether that’s about local history, IT skills, art, craft, fashion, food, skills, music. . . . . There are no limits (well, not until we bump into them!)
Right now we’re in the process of engaging with communities and exploring what they may want. Very soon we will want to start testing out different learning opportunities. On 1st October we’re looking for one or two taster sessions to offer at the Leicester Ageing Together “Big Event” at Leicestershire Country Cricket Club. After that, we’ll respond to emerging needs and interest and offer a range of short courses to older people across the wards. And then we’ll carry on developing and refining our learning programme over the life of the project.
If you’re interested in working on this project, if you’ve got some ideas or experience from your knowledge of supporting learning with older people, if you’re raring to go and want to be at 1st October event or if you simply want to find out more, please get in touch with the Project Organiser, Sally Hall at email@example.com , post a reply here or call on 0116 2556614.